Welcome to New Market, Maryland! Our historic town was established in 1793 as a rest stop and trading post along the Baltimore Turnpike, which was at that point in time a rugged wagon trail leading westward from Baltimore. Our location along the trail with our ample supply of water, toll- free route, and availability of provisions and services attracted many travelers and made New Market an important rest stop during America’s westward expansion. The Baltimore Turnpike soon became the eastern portion of the National Turnpike, one of the most famous and well-traveled highways in America. In 1975, New Market was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1936, the first antique store opened in New Market and the town flourished and soon became known as the Antiques Capital of Maryland. Just as New Market evolved from a trading post and rest stop along a wagon trail to an antiques center along an historic road, the town continues to evolve with the technology and demographics of the present-day. Today, you can find an eclectic mix of eateries, retail shops, churches and spiritual venues, entertainment, fitness venues, a spa, a tea room, rentals, real estate, parks, and so much more. We are a family-oriented community and pride ourselves in our warm hospitality.
Learn more about our beautiful community here: http://www.townofnewmarket.org/
For a more in-depth history of the Town of New Market, click here: http://www.townofnewmarket.org/visitors/.